2018 Contest Registration begins January 11, 2018. Registrations will be accepted in our office, by phone using a credit card, and by mail with a JANUARY 11, 2018 or later postmark date.
Scroll Down page to complete Online Registration
Contests are open to anyone except those who are performing as a billed or paid entertainer and those persons who have won first place within the past FIVE years – specifically the years 2013 through 2017. However, previous winners may enter a contest which they have not won within the past five years. For example, the first place winner of the National Bluegrass Banjo Championship may enter and win any other competition.
Entry fee for all instrument contests will be $15 per person per contest. Contest registration will close one hour before the scheduled contest. There are only Forty (40) contestants per contest. We will accept registrations for forty contest spots plus up to thirty-five (35) registrations for a stand-by list in case of cancellations or no-shows. All registered contestants must confirm their registration at the contest registration trailer prior to the time registration closes.
Complete contest rules, dates, starting times, description of the instrument prizes, and the presenting Luthiers will be available upon request in Spring 2018. For a copy of this information, write to Walnut Valley Association, P.O. Box 245, Winfield, KS 67156; or call the festival office at 620-221-3250.
Contest dates and times
- International Autoharp Championship – Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018 at 9:00am
- International Finger Style Guitar Championship – Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018 at 3:00pm
Please Note that with 40 accepted registrations, the Walnut Valley Association is currently accepting registrations for the Stand-By List for the International Finger Style Guitar Championship. Please call the WVA Office at 620-221-3250 for Stand-By List Status.
- National Mountain Dulcimer Championship – Friday, Sept. 14, 2018 at 9:00am
- National Mandolin Championship – Friday, Sept. 14, 2018 at 1:00pm
- Walnut Valley Old-Time Fiddle Championship – Friday, Sept. 14, 2018 at 6:00pm
- National Flat Pick Guitar Championship – Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 at 9:00am
- National Hammer Dulcimer Championship – Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018 at 3:30pm
- National Bluegrass Banjo Championship – Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018 at 10:00am